Use this first tuesday FARM Letter in your marketing. To request a FARM letter topic, or to see a list of all our FARM letter templates, visit our FARM Letter page.
Financial literacy isn’t just about knowledge, it’s a way of better preparing you for negotiating to get the best deal on your mortgage. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your mortgage search:
- Check your credit before you start shopping. Did you know that debt from things like car loans and credit cards can increase the price of your mortgage? Consider paying down your high interest debt before applying for a mortgage for the best chance at a better deal.
- Make sure you apply to multiple lenders for Loan Estimates so you can compare costs and make an educated decision. Remember, lenders are out to make a profit and with fewer options you’ll probably end up paying more than you need to.
- Reduce the recurring costs of private mortgage insurance with a 20% down payment. Down payments less than 20% of the purchase price require mortgage insurance which will increase your monthly expenses.
- Obtain a free Mortgage Shopping Worksheet as a way to conveniently compare mortgage terms. I’ll be there to help you fill out the paperwork.
- Visit the website of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) (http://www.consumerfinance.gov) and know your rights!
With these tips in hand, you’re on your way to becoming a financially literate homebuyer and leveling the playing field between you and the lenders. Have mo