Use this FREE first tuesday FARM letter copy in your marketing! Have a topic you’d like us to write about? Email email@example.com and let us know!
The housing market can be tough on sellers. In a buyer’s market, few buyers want to buy a house with a turnkey to-do-list, unless the price is deeply discounted.
A few small and inexpensive repairs will make your property show better, sell faster, and get closer to your price.
- Entryway: An easy way to make your house stand out is to paint your front door. Also, consider replacing the screen door if the parts are bent or the screen is sagging.
- Roof: Repair any loose or missing shingles or tiles. Clean off any plant or animal materials that will make the exterior of your house look neglected.
- Gutters: Clear out the gutters and repair any that are hanging loosely. Re-caulk the gutter end caps.
- Yard: Re-seed any bald spots in your lawn. Plant some inexpensive flowers for color. Groom the lawn and bushes. Mulch is an attractive way to quickly improve the property’s curb appeal.
- Fence: Clear weeds from the fence line. Repaint wooden fences and replace any damaged parts.
- Driveway: Patch cracks in the driveway or walking surfaces.
- Siding and Porch: Power wash the siding or porch to remove built up dirt or cobwebs.
Inside the house
- Flooring: Replace any damaged hardwood boards and vinyl flooring. Cleaning the carpets is crucial.
- Windows: Replace any broken or cracked windows. Thoroughly clean all the screens.
- Plumbing: Replace the toilet seat. Fix any leaky faucets. Re-caulk tubs and sinks as needed.
- Paint: Painting is an easy and inexpensive way to make your home shine. If repainting the whole house isn’t an option, focus on the baseboards and crown molding. If you do plan to repaint the walls, patch any flaws in the wall with lightweight putty first.
- Lighting: Update old light switches and replace bulbs with energy efficient ones, both inside and out.
- Cabinets: If your cabinets appear clearly dated, it may be a good idea to replace the hardware and either repaint or resurface them.