This Legislative Watch deals with federal immigration status and how it relates to the
Added by AB 976:
Civil Code §1940.3
A landlord or his agents may not take any of the following actions in regards to a tenant or prospective tenant’s immigration or citizenship status:
- inquiring about;
- compiling information on;
- providing information on;
- denying housing; or
- continuing to offer housing.
Additionally, a government entity, such as a city or a county, may not force a landlord or landlord’s agent to take any of the listed actions.
This does not prohibit a landlord or his agent from complying with any federal laws. Further, the landlord may request information and documentation to determine or verify the:
- financial qualifications of a prospective tenant; or
- identification of a prospective tenant.
Effective January 1, 2008.