2021 Eviction and Foreclosure Moratoriums

The 2020 Recession and COVID-19 pandemic has left millions of Californians unable to pay their rents or mortgages. State and federal lawmakers passed a patchwork of eviction and foreclosure moratoriums to keep residents housed, but relief remains elusive for many.

Scroll down for the latest eviction and foreclosure moratorium updates.

Supreme Court strikes down federal eviction moratorium

In a divided decision, the highest court in the land rejected the moratorium imposed by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), asserting the CDC does not have the authority to issue such sweeping orders. Here in California, an eviction moratorium remains in place through September 30, 2021. Read more.

U.S. Supreme Court set to weigh in on eviction moratorium — again

The U.S. eviction moratorium is scheduled to be scrutinized by the highest court, and its future looks grim. Read more

CDC extends eviction moratorium in hard-hit counties, including most of California

The Centers for Disease Control is issuing a new eviction moratorium for nonpayment of rent in U.S. counties experiencing “substantial and high levels of community transmission” of COVID-19 through October 3, 2021. Read more.

Rental Housing Recovery Act extends eviction moratorium through end of September 2021

Landlords now have the ability to regain 100% of their tenants’ missed rents since April 2020, and renters have three extra months to find rent relief. Read more here.

Foreclosure moratorium: “final” extension granted through July 31, 2021

Financially-distressed homeowners have one more month to become current on their mortgages, or enter a forbearance program. Read more

CDC extends eviction moratorium until July 31, 2021

The federal eviction moratorium which prevents the eviction of tenants who are unable to make rental payments has been extended for the fourth time. Read more

Federal foreclosure moratorium extended through mid-2021

The foreclosure moratorium that has kept jobless Californians in their homes during the ongoing recession has been extended yet again. Read the details here.

Foreclosure moratorium expiration looms — what then?

The Biden administration has issued an executive order extending the federal foreclosure and eviction moratoriums, as well as the deadline to enter into a COVID-19 forbearance program, to March 31, 2021. Read more

New stimulus deal arrives, but won’t repair the economy

Learn about the major developments provided by the new stimulus deal, including individual payments, extra unemployment benefits and an extension of the eviction moratorium. Read more

The economic impacts of the eviction moratorium

The Mortgage Bankers Association cautions against a “cascading action” of losses as tenants who are unable to pay will lead to landlords unable to cover their own expenses and mortgage payments, pay their employees or pay their property taxes. Read more

The Tenant, Homeowner, and Small Landlord Relief Stabilization Act of 2020

AB 3088 is the unprecedented statewide law which imposes a temporary moratorium on eviction of residential tenants for nonpayment of rent that became delinquent between March 1, 2020 and January 31, 2021 due to the tenant’s COVID-19-related financial distress. SB 91 later extended this moratorium through June 30, 2021. Part I, Part II

California’s eviction moratorium extended, back-rent covered

SB 91 extends the state’s eviction moratorium through June 30, 2021. Further, SB 91 will use federal funds to cover 80% of the back-rent accumulated by low-income tenants from April 1, 2020 through March 31, 2021. In return for accepting the federal funds, the landlord is required to forgive the remaining 20% of back-rent owed during that time. Read more.

Accepting partial rent payments

Amid record unemployment, landlords across the California are learning to do more with less. Learn how you can accept partial payment of rent with RPI Forms 558 and 559. Read more

Suspended foreclosures, evictions due to COVID-19 impacts

On March 18, 2020, the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) announced a temporary halt to evictions and foreclosures. Read more