Use this first tuesday FARM Letter in your marketing. To request a FARM letter topic, or to see a list of all our FARM letter templates, visit our FARM Letter page.
If your property is in a State Responsibility Area and adjoins a mountain area or lands covered by forests, brush, grass or other flammable materials, you’re required to keep at least 100 feet of defensible space around your property.
“Lean, Clean and Green Zone”
Keep at least 30 feet of defensible space directly around your home by removing:
- dead plants, grass and weeds;
- dead or dry leaves and pine needles;
- vegetation hidden beneath decks; and
- limbs within 10 feet of the chimney.
The “Reduced Fuel Zone”
For the remaining 70 feet extending to the edge of the property, stick to these rules for horizontal shrub spacing:
- 2 times their height on a flat to mild slope (less than 20%);
- 4 times their height on a mild to moderate slope (20-40%); and
- 6 times their height on a moderate to steep slope (greater than 40%).
Trees must be spaced:
- 10 feet apart on a flat to mild slope (less than 20%);
- 20 feet apart on a mild to moderate slope (20-40%); and
- 30 feet apart on a moderate to steep slope (greater than 40%).
Mow grass down to a maximum height of 4 inches and remove fallen debris such as cones and small branches.